Frequently Asked Questions

How do I make a gift to Pitt?

Gifts can be made online using the GIVE NOW button in the upper right corner of our Web site (  To send a gift by mail, please use either a pledge card that has been mailed to you, complete our online Mail-in Gift Form, or send a check or money order to: The Pitt Fund, 128 North Craig Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15260.  Include your name and phone number and indicate which fund your gift will support.


Our development professionals also are happy to talk to you about making a pledge or arranging a planned gift. Other giving options include matching gifts, honorary and memorial gifts, and faculty and staff payroll pledges. Learn more on our Ways to Give Web page or call us at 412-624-5800 or toll free at 1-800-817-8943.


How do I make a pledge?

By making a pledge, donors are oftentimes able to make a more generous commitment than they could with a one-time gift. Call us at 412-624-5800 or toll free at 1-800-817-8943, and we will connect you with a development professional, who can help you create a pledge agreement that allows you to make a commitment that can be paid over a number of months or years.


Where should I direct my gift?

Gifts made to the Pitt Fund provide general support to the University’s areas of greatest need. (see below for more information about the Pitt Fund.)  Gifts to the General Scholarship Fund help ensure that Pitt remains accessible and affordable to capable and hard-working students.  Donors oftentimes wish to provide support for schools, departments and programs in which they have a particular interest.  Our Where to Give Web page has information about the specific priority funds for our various schools, centers, and programs.  Call us at 412-624-5800 or toll free at 1-800-817-8943 for more information about the many areas to which you can direct your support.


What is the Pitt Fund?

The Pitt fund is the general fund to which donors can contribute financial support for areas of greatest need including scholarships for students and funding for a broad range of high-priority educational programs.


Can I make a gift of stock or other asset?

Yes. Donors can make gifts of appreciated securities, business interests, life insurance, partnership interests, personal property, real estate, and retirement plans. Information about gifts of appreciated securities can be found on our Payment Options Web page. For information, about other gift options, call us at 412-624-5800 or toll free at 1-800-817-8943.


Is my gift to Pitt tax-deductible?

Yes, gifts to Pitt are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law.


What is Pitt’s federal tax ID number?

The tax ID number for the “University of Pittsburgh – Of the Commonwealth System of Higher Education” is 25-0965591.


How will my gift be acknowledged?

All donors receive a gift receipt by mail that acknowledges their generosity and indicates the tax-deductible amount of their gift. We are pleased to also recognize donors who make annual gifts of $1,000 or more in our online Honor Roll.


How do I become a member of the Chancellor’s Circle?

Donors become members of the Chancellor’s Circle by donating $1,000 or more each fiscal year (July 1 through June 30). Pitt alumni who graduated in the last ten years enjoy the same benefits as Chancellor’s Circle donors by joining the GOLD Circle (Graduates of the Last Decade) with an annual contribution of just $500.  Gifts of cash, securities, and matching gifts are all counted toward a donor's total yearly giving. Join the Chancellor’s Circle Now .


What is planned giving?

A planned gift is any major gift, made as part of a donor’s overall financial and/or estate plan that produces significant tax savings while also generating life-long income for the donor or providing for the transfer of assets to designated heirs. Visit the University of Pittsburgh’s Gift Planning Center Web page to learn more about the features and benefits of planned giving and find out how to arrange for a consultation with one of our Planned Giving professionals.


What are matching gifts?

Many employers will match donations to Pitt, thereby increasing your contribution to the University. Contact the Human Resources department at your workplace to get more information about the options they offer. While each company has its own procedure, oftentimes the process begins with a donor requesting a Matching Gift Form from their company.  The completed form is sent to Pitt, where the gift information is verified and returned to the employer so that they can issue a matching gift contribution to the University. For more information, visit our Matching Gifts Web page or contact Megan O’Neill Starmack by sending an e-mail to or by calling her at 412-624-5826.


Can I make a gift in honor or memory of someone?

Yes, honorary gifts allow you to acknowledge a friend or family member’s birthday, wedding, anniversary, or other special occasion or accomplishment.  Memorial gifts are a meaningful way to mark the passing of a loved one. In addition to the letter of thanks we send to donors, we also are happy to send notifications when a donor has made a gift in honor or in remembrance of friends and loved ones. For more information, visit our Honorary and Memorial Gifts Web page or contact Cindy Gralewski by sending an e-mail to or by calling her at 412-624-8242.


I’m a Pitt employee; can I give by payroll deductions?

Yes. There is an online payroll deduction option available if you would like to make your tax-deductible gift in convenient payroll deductions. Simply follow the instructions outlined on the Faculty and Staff Giving Web page.